Direct link to latest edition of Pool 32 Mag - click on this image

What is Pool 32 Mag all about ?

Pool 32 Mag is a new fly fishing e-magazine for everyone who loves fly fishing, and wish to follow environmental issues as well.

The best part is that it's a totally FREE e-mag and it can be downloaded by anyone, anywhere on the planet.

Check it out, sign up or send it on to a friend who is just as crazy about fly fishing as we are.


If you chose to scroll further down you will find the Pool 32 Blog

"our cyber world of fishy stuff".


We HATE spam mails, so we will of course

handle your mail info's according to our very strict privacy policy.


Copyright © Mark Wengler

No photo reproduction of any kind without prior written


"Fly fishing isn't just a sport - it's a state of mind!!"

Check out earlier issues of Pol 32 mag


January 17, 2010

Midfjardara - a fly fishing paradise in Iceland.


Salmon action on Iceland !!!


Paul - with a big smile :O)


Ready to go!!


92 cm



Dining room at the lodge :O)



Ohh no!! - Liam lost 7 salmons in 25 minutes!!



Rafn is an excellent fly fisher :O) 










Rafn's daughter's first salmon on a fly rod !!!! :O)





Well I started my blog with a depressing post - "How to kill a river" - simply because I want to put focus on the need for political action, and human respect for our beautiful planet.

But let's jump over to something very, very exciting and positive :O)

Fly fishing in Iceland. Here they understood the meaning of preservation, care taking and respect for mother earth. And the result is an outstanding fly fishing scene.
I stayed on a lodge run by Rafn Alfredsson by one of the smaller rivers up there, called Midfjardara, but with one of the best catch statistics on the entire island - a very beautiful river - full of salmons!!. I think we were 10-15 people that ha 120-130 km of river all to our self - pure paradise fishing conditions!!!!
It was just such a positive experience, with super nice accommodation and excellent food, and the guides knew what they were doing - but most of all an outstanding fly fishing scene surrounded by Iceland's remote, and rustic beautiful nature.
I now know why you have to pay more to fish up there - it is very simple - it's the best fly fishing in the world. Nothing more, nothing less!!.
I was fishing with two gent's from Ireland - Liam and Paul - and they were very, very pleasant company all week, always cracking jokes from the backseat - would be a pleasure to meet up with them again one day.
I caught heaps of salmons the week I stayed up there - 87 to be precise!!!! - grills on a one handed rod #7 - with shooting head - scandinavian style :O)
Sometimes I was so surprised by the number of salmons we saw, but also on the way they took the fly - BANG!!! - raw power every time!!!
Biggest one for me were 92 cm. and the average ones were around 3-4 kg's - great fun, fresh fish with sea-lice, and a lot of power!!



A brilliant and enthusiastic guide!!






PS. I was only fishing with a rifling hitch all week - a fantastic way to catch salmons, by the way. Some times I experienced that the salmons jumped out of the water, and then took the fly on their way down!!! - that is what I call "real fly fishing action"!!! :O)
And to describe how sublime the fishing were, I will tell one of many extreme fly fishing experiences I had up there.
The Guide and I arrived to a small pool, one of manny beautiful and remote pools (no people anywhere), and within seconds I saw a tiny tip of a tail, close to the other riverbank. I threw my fly carefully close to it, and BANG!!! instant response. In 15 minutes I caught 4 salmons - all of them were about 4 kg. on a #7 rod, with rifling hitch - life doesn't get any better than that!!!


Big smiles from my good friend Mr. T :O)

I know it is expensive fishing up there, but what a place!! - save up, and give yourself an experience for life, you will never regret it.

(PS. one of the above pictures shows, as you can see, Rafn with his 9 years old daughter's first salmon catch on a fly rod - her only comment was - "It was very strong".
She was such a nice, easy going and polite little girl!! :O)

Relevant links:
1) Rafen's lodge at the Midfjardara river:  www.fhd.is

Tight lines to all of U
.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ )><((((º>



1 comment:

  1. great! valuable information, I've shared with my two children and liked, thanks for sharing information

    ReplyDelete